Are you frustrated with your MTN data plan automatically renewing and deducting money from your account without your consent?
Don’t worry, you can easily deactivate the auto-renewal feature and take control of your data usage.
First, it’s important to understand what the auto-renewal feature does.
This feature automatically renews your data plan when it expires, using the remaining balance in your account.
While it may be convenient for some, it can also lead to unexpected deductions from your account.
If you want to prevent this from happening, keep reading to learn how to deactivate MTN data auto-renewal.
- MTN Data Plan Auto-Renewal deducts money without consent and can lead to unexpected deductions.
- Deactivating MTN Data Plan Auto-Renewal via SMS or USSD code can prevent automatic recharging and unwanted data plans.
- Checking data balance regularly and managing data usage effectively can help avoid unexpected charges and optimize data consumption.
- Deactivating MTN Data Plan Auto-Renewal can save money in the long run and prevent difficulties in deactivating the feature.
Understand the Auto-Renewal Feature
So, you’re probably wondering how to stop that pesky MTN data plan from renewing itself every month, right? Well, first things first, let’s talk about how this auto-renewal feature actually works.
When you subscribe to an MTN data plan, the auto-renewal feature is automatically activated by default.
This means that when your data plan expires, it will automatically renew itself using the available airtime on your phone.
The benefits of this feature are obvious – you don’t have to worry about running out of data unexpectedly.
And you won’t have to go through the process of subscribing to a new plan every time your current one expires.
However, there are also risks involved if you don’t deactivate the auto-renewal feature.
For example, if you forget to keep track of your data usage, you may end up with a depleted airtime balance due to automatic renewals.
So, it’s important to learn how to deactivate this feature, and we’ll show you how to do it via SMS in the next section.
Deactivating MTN Data Auto-Renewal via SMS
If you’re tired of constantly being charged for data you didn’t want, try sending a simple text message to deactivate MTN data auto renewal manually.
This is a quick and easy way to stop the automatic renewal of your data plan.
Here are some things to keep in mind when deactivating MTN data auto renewal via SMS:
- Make sure you have enough balance on your phone to cover the cost of the SMS.
- Use the correct keyword when sending the SMS. The keyword is ‘NO’ followed by the code of the data plan you want to deactivate.
- Check that you have received a confirmation message from MTN indicating that your data plan has been successfully deactivated.
- Keep in mind that deactivating MTN data auto renewal via SMS may not work if you have any outstanding debts on your account.
Common issues with auto renewal feature include being charged for unwanted data plans, difficulty in deactivating the feature, and not receiving a notification before the data plan is renewed.
To avoid these issues, it’s important to know how to deactivate MTN data auto renewal manually.
Once you have deactivated the feature, you can choose to manually renew your data plan or opt for a one-time data plan purchase.
Next, let’s explore another way to deactivate MTN data auto-renewal via USSD code.
Deactivating MTN Data Auto-Renewal via USSD Code
To deactivate MTN data auto-renewal via USSD code, you need to follow a few simple steps.
First, dial the USSD code 1235*1# on your MTN line.
Next, select the option to deactivate auto-renewal.
It’s important to note that this will only deactivate auto-renewal for your current data plan, and you’ll need to repeat the process for each new plan you purchase.
Steps to Follow
Firstly, it’s important to note that deactivating MTN data auto renewal in Nigeria can save you money in the long run.
One common mistake that people make is assuming that their data subscription will automatically expire after reaching the data cap.
This is not the case, and if you don’t deactivate the auto renewal feature, your account will be automatically recharged once your subscription expires, leading to unnecessary charges on your account.
To deactivate MTN data auto renewal, simply dial 1235*1# and follow the prompts to cancel the auto renewal feature. If you encounter any issues during the process, you can troubleshoot by checking your account balance or contacting MTN customer service for assistance.
It’s important to note that deactivating the auto renewal feature will not cancel your current data subscription, but rather, it will prevent it from being renewed automatically.
With this knowledge, you can now take control of your data plan and avoid unnecessary charges.
Important Things to Note
It’s crucial to note that deactivating MTN data auto renewal is just one part of managing your data usage effectively.
To avoid unexpected charges on your account, it’s important to monitor your data usage regularly and choose suitable data plans that meet your needs.
This will help ensure that you only pay for what you need and don’t exceed your data limit.
Data usage monitoring can be done through the MTN mobile app or by texting ‘2’ to 131 to get a summary of your data usage.
It’s also important to note that checking your data balance regularly will help you keep track of your remaining data and avoid unexpected charges.
With these things in mind, you’ll be well on your way to managing your data usage effectively and avoiding unnecessary charges on your account.
Checking Your Data Balance
Want to make sure you’re not losing track of your data usage? Simply check your balance by dialing *131# and following the prompts.
This will give you an overview of your current data plan subscription, data plan validity, and remaining data balance. Here is a table to help you understand the information displayed:
|Check how much data you have remaining
|Data Plan Subscription
|View your current data plan subscription
|Data Plan Validity
|Check when your current data plan expires
|Data Plan Auto-Renewal
|Deactivate auto-renewal of your data plan
By regularly checking your data balance, you can keep track of your data usage and avoid unexpected charges.
Additionally, you can monitor your data usage and adjust your habits accordingly to make the most out of your data plan.
In the following section, we will provide additional tips to manage your data usage and save on costs.
Additional Tips to Manage Your Data Usage
To get the most out of your data plan, you should consider managing your data consumption by optimizing your data usage.
This is especially important if you want to avoid unexpected charges or running out of data before the end of your billing cycle.
Here are some additional tips to help you manage your data usage:
- Close unused apps: Apps that remain open in the background can consume data without your knowledge. Be sure to close any unused apps to avoid data leaks.
- Use Wi-Fi when available: Wi-Fi is often faster and more reliable than cellular data. Connecting to Wi-Fi networks can help you reduce your data usage.
- Turn off automatic downloads: Automatic downloads of software updates, app updates, and media files can quickly eat up your data. Turn off automatic downloads to save your data for more important uses.
- Monitor your usage: Use your network provider’s app or website to monitor your data usage. This will help you identify which apps and activities consume the most data. With this knowledge, you can adjust your usage to optimize your data consumption.
By following these tips, you can manage your data usage effectively and avoid wasting your precious data.
Keep these tips in mind to make the most out of your data plan and stay within your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I deactivate MTN data auto-renewal if I am on a postpaid plan?
Yes, you can deactivate postpaid plan auto renewal on MTN by dialing 123421# and following the prompts.
Alternatively, you can opt for MTN data auto renewal alternatives like subscribing to a data bundle with a specified validity period.
Will I lose my remaining data if I deactivate MTN data auto-renewal before the data expiry date?
Don’t worry, your remaining data won’t vanish if you deactivate MTN data auto-renewal before expiry.
To avoid losing data or unexpected charges, follow these simple steps to disable auto-renewal on your MTN line in Nigeria.
How long does it take for MTN data auto-renewal to be deactivated after sending the deactivation SMS or USSD code?
After sending the deactivation SMS or USSD code, MTN data auto renewal usually takes a few minutes to deactivate.
If it doesn’t, common issues and troubleshooting tips should be checked. Alternatives to MTN data auto renewal include other subscription options.
Is there a limit to how many times I can deactivate MTN data auto-renewal in a month?
There is no limit to how many times you can deactivate MTN data auto-renewal in a month. However, common issues can arise, so follow tips for avoiding auto-renewal mishaps.
Can I still recharge my MTN line after deactivating data auto-renewal or will I need to reactivate it first?
Yes, you can still recharge your MTN line after deactivating data auto-renewal. This won’t affect your recharging options or impact on data rollover. Simply reactivate auto-renewal if you want to use it again.
The aim of this post is to teach how to cancel auto renewal on MTN. Therefore, I am going to show you the five available ways to stop auto renewal on different MTN data packages.
So if you need to opt out of auto renewal on any MTN data bundle, just read through this article. This promises to solve all your issues with respect to how to stop auto renewal on the MTN network.
Human beings are diverse in every aspect of life. Different people have their peculiarities and needs pertaining any and everything.
The statement is also true when it comes to people’s data needs. There are those whose jobs, businesses or career are data-dependent.
In other words, they need data every single second in order to keep their enterprise going.
Somehow or the other, such people are always online and would record heavy inconveniences and losses if they ever run out of data.
For no reason should their data expire or get exhausted.
There are other people who buy and use data mainly for other things apart from business.
They use their data for social media and other informational purposes. Some just purchase a data bundle to sort out a momentary Internet need like sending files, doing an assignment and so on.
Table of Contents
MTN Auto Renewal Vs MTN One-time Purchase
MTN is a telecommunication company with a vision to satisfy the communication needs of their customers.
So they go to any length to identify these needs and sort them out to the satisfaction of their ever-growing customer base.
For the sake of the two categories of individuals described above, MTN brought in the concept of auto renewal of data bundles and one-time purchase of data bundles.
The idea is that those whose jobs, companies and business are Internet-dependent should opt for auto renewal of their data plans.
While those whose enterprises are not so dependent on the Internet can opt for one-time purchase to sort out their data needs at the moment.
They may just require data to handle something for a day or week or just one month.
After the expiration or exhaustion of their data, such people may choose to subscribe again or not to subscribe.
More so, they may choose to go for an entirely different data bundle according to their current budget.
During the data subscription stage, MTN offers users different data bundle packages to choose from.
For any data package they choose, MTN also prompts them to choose between auto renewal and one-time purchase.
Advantages of Auto Renewal of Data Bundles on MTN
Here are the advantages or benefits of choosing the auto renewal option when doing your data subscription on MTN:
- If your business is data-dependent, opting for auto renewal will give you peace of mind. In other words, you don’t have to worry about your subscription date or the expiration date. MTN will take the worry from you and renew your data bundle when due.
- Your business will not experience downtime. Of course, you know that down times can harm your brand reputation and customer relationships as a businessman.
- Saves you the time and ‘stress’ of doing manual renewal every day, week or month depending on your subscription.
- In case of subscription expiration, auto renewal will ensure the roll over of unused data so that you do not lose anything.
Advantages of One-time Purchase on MTN
The following are the advantages or benefits of choosing the one-time purchase option when doing your data subscription on MTN:
- If you do not want to do another subscription when your data expires, you don’t have anything to bother about. MTN will not forcefully re-subscribe you to the same data bundle using your available airtime credit.
- This will save your airtime credit until you decide to make use of it to manually subscribe for data.
- You may want to buy a different data bundle package in your next subscription. A one-time purchase gives you the necessary flexibility.
Alright. There may be other advantages for the two options above, but I believe you already have enough.
The Need to Cancel Auto Renewal on MTN
Sometimes, users unknowingly or mistakenly select the option for auto-renewal when subscribing for data.
The network will automatically re-subscribe them to the same data bundle package. And they get a shocking SMS alert informing them that their data bundle has been successfully renewed.
This can be very heartbreaking especially if the airtime credit used was your last.
Some users manually re-subscribe to a higher data bundle package. But they continue to receive messages from MTN every time they recharge their phones.
Of course, the messages are about subscriptions to the previous package they mistakenly chose for auto renewal.
Such messages can be very nasty and annoying, and you just need to know how to curb the entire experience.
In the following sections, I will show you how to deactivate or stop auto renewal on MTN.
How to Cancel Auto Renewal on MTN
If MTN auto renewal is not useful to you as a customer, then you need to learn how to stop it.
Because if you don’t stop it right away, MTN will continue to auto-renew your data bundle using your available airtime credit. This can be a painful thorn in your flesh.
There are five easy ways to stop auto renewal on MTN. They include the use of:
- USSD codes
- MyMTN app
- MyMTN webpage
- Customer Service Unit
I am going to take the next few sections to guide you on how to stop auto renewal on MTN using any of the five methods above.
1. How to Cancel Auto Renewal on MTN Via USSD Code
For data bundle purchase on the MTN network via USSD, 180 and 312 were formerly the two codes that you can use.
But now, MTN codes have changed and you can now use 312. Note that the code 312 makes use of prompt procedures.
So you must follow the instructions to activate a one-time data purchase.
How to Cancel Auto Renewal on MTN Using 312 (USSD)
- Connect to ZIGI by dialing 312 using your MTN number.
- Press 1 to find out your auto-renewal status.
- Press 2 to cancel the auto-renewal
Once you go through the above steps, MTN will cancel the auto renewal option for you. Your subscription will now be on a one-time purchase basis.
How to Cancel Auto Renewal on MTN Using *312# (USSD)
Here is a description of how to stop auto renewal on MTN using the *312# code. The images are there to facilitate easy understanding.
1. Dial *312# using your MTN line.
2. Choose Data Plans (i.e. option 1)
3. Choose Next to see more options on the next page (i.e. option 99)
4. Choose Manage Data (option 11)
5. Choose Cancel Auto Renewal (option 3)
6. Select Bundle to opt out of auto renewal
7. Now you are done!
The above steps on how to cancel auto renewal on MTN are very seamless and stress-free.
You don’t need to know the subscription code for the data bundle you are trying to cancel auto renewal on.
So you don’t have to send NO with endless wrong codes to MTN in a bid to stop auto renewal.
Let me also add this…
You can always activate a one-time purchase on MTN and avoid falling into the trap of auto renewal and going through the stress of stopping it.
How to Activate One-time Purchase on MTN Using 312 (USSD)
You can also activate one-time purchase on MTN using the *312# code when you are about to purchase a data plan. Using the *312# will require you to select either a one-time purchase or auto renewal.
Below are the required procedures:
- Dial *312# using your MTN phone number
- Then press 1 to select ‘Data Plans’
- Select from the list of available data plans according to your budget
- Press 2 to select ‘One-time Purchase’
Remember you can do this when attempting to purchase a data plan. If you follow the steps above, your data bundle will not renew automatically.
To renew the data bundle after exhausting it or on its expiry date, you will have to go through the steps above.
2. How to Cancel Auto Renewal on MTN Using MyMTN App
MyMTN App is a mobile app from the stables of MTN. In the MYMTN App, MTN offers a lot of services to their customers.
The app also offers customers the option to toggle off auto renewal if they need to. The following steps show how to cancel auto renewal on MTN using MyMTN app:
- Download the MyMTN app on your phone and go through the installation process.
- When you are done, log in to the MyMTN app.
- Input your mobile phone number and scroll to ‘My Subscription’.
- Click on ‘Toggle off Auto-Renewal’.
- Then click on ‘Turn Off’.
Once you go through the above steps successfully, your data subscription will no longer be on auto renewal.
More so, any other data subscription you do on the mobile app will not be on auto-renewal.
3. How to Cancel Auto Renewal on MTN Using MyMTN Web
MyMTN web is an online platform where MTN renders all manner of services to their customers.
Customers can use the MYMTN web page to cancel auto renewal of their data subscriptions.
The process to achieve this is very simple and easy. Here’s how to cancel auto renewal on MTN using MYMTN web page:
- Visit the MyMTN web platform or just click here for quick access
- Enter your username, password and phone number.
- MTN will send an OTP to you, just go ahead to input the OTP numbers.
- Scroll to my subscription, select the data bundle and toggle off the auto-renewal button.
This process will automatically stop auto renewal on MTN and activate a one-off data purchase for you..
4. How to Cancel Auto Renewal on MTN Via SMS
The SMS method of stopping auto renewal on MTN is the fastest and easiest method especially if you know the subscription code for the data bundle.
So if you have mistakenly activated the auto renewal option for your data bundle, all you need is to remember the code for that particular data bundle package.
Here’s how to cancel auto renewal on MTN via SMS: simply send NoCODE to 312.
For example, the code for 200MB for 2 days on MTN is 113. If you want to cancel auto renewal of that bundle, simply send NO113 to 312.
As soon as you send that, MTN will opt you out of their auto renewal services.
List of MTN Data Plans and the Codes to Stop Auto Renewal Via SMS
If you must use the SMS method to stop auto renewal on MTN, you must know the code for the data plan in question.
Otherwise, you will be texting wrong codes and receiving error messages as feedback while the auto renewal continues.
So I will outline some of the MTN data plans and the short codes to stop auto renewal through SMS.
To stop auto renewal on:
1. 25MB daily data plan, send NO114 to 312.
2. 75MB daily data plan, send NO114 to 312.
3. 1GB daily data plan, send NO155 to 312.
4. 200MB for 2 days data plan, send NO113 to 312.
5. 2GB for 2 days data plan, send NO154 to 312.
6. 350MB for 7 days data plan, send NO103 to 312.
7. 1.5GB for 30 days data plan, send NO106 to 312.
8. 2GB for 30 days data plan, send NO130 to 312.
9. 3GB for 30 days data plan, send NO109 to 312.
10. 3.5GB for 30 days data plan, send NO110 to 312.
11. 6.5GB for 30 days data plan, send NO107 to 312.
5. How to Cancel Auto Renewal on MTN Through Customer Service
The MTN customer service channels are also open for customers who wish to cancel the auto-renewal of their data bundle.
However, when you gain access, the customer representative will demand a few personal details to confirm if you are the owner of the phone number.
Once you provide satisfactory answers, the customer rep will grant your request.
Follow the steps below if you want to speak with an MTN customer representative:
- Dial 312 using your mobile phone, wait for about 3 seconds and press 2.
- Wait for another 3 seconds and press 9, then press 6.
- Then press 0 to transfer to a customer care agent online
When you gain access to an MTN customer care agent, you can place your request for data subscription auto-renewal cancellation.
How to Stop Auto-Renewal on MTN Social Bundle
MTN offers many social bundle packages for their customers. Sadly, many customers subscribing to social bundles experience the problem of unwanted auto-renewals.
In order to help you to solve this problem, I will outline some social media bundles and the codes you can use to cancel auto-renewals.
So you don’t have to keep getting unwanted subscriptions.
How to cancel auto renewal on MTN for:
- Facebook daily data plan, send STOPFBD to 312
- WhatsApp daily data plan, send STOPWAD to 312
- 2GB daily data plan, send STOP2GOD to 312
- Instagram daily data plan, send STOPINSD to 312
- Eskimi daily data plan, send STOPESKD to 312
- WeChat daily data plan, send STOPWCD to 312
- Facebook monthly data plan, send STOPFBM to 312
- WhatsApp monthly data plan, send STOPWAM to 312
- 2GB monthly data plan, send STOP2GOM to 312
- Instagram monthly data plan, send STOPINSM to 312
- Eskimi monthly data plan, send STOPESKM to 312
- WeChat monthly data plan, send STOPWCM to 312
Congratulations! You’ve successfully deactivated the MTN data auto-renewal feature.
Now you can surf the internet without worrying about your data plan renewing without your consent.
It’s always good to be in control of your data usage and expenses.
However, it’s important to note that deactivating the auto-renewal feature does not mean you can now binge-watch Netflix without any consequences.
Keep in mind that data is not an unlimited resource and you should always use it wisely.
Don’t be that person who uses up all the data and then complains about slow internet speeds.
Remember, managing your data usage is not rocket science. It just requires a little bit of self-discipline and awareness.
So, stay informed about your data usage, set data limits on your phone, and use Wi-Fi whenever possible.
With these simple tips, you can avoid unnecessary expenses and enjoy seamless internet browsing.